Arkansas Environmental Education Association
Events by this organizer
October 16 – December 8, 2023 COURSE DESCRIPTION: Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is a framework to guide the design of learning environments
October 16 – December 8, 2023
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is a framework to guide the design of learning environments that are accessible and challenging for all, rather than making modifications for individual students’ needs. This course will encourage you to reflect deeply on your practice to focus on how you plan and teach, not just the content you teach. Whether you’re a classroom teacher or outdoor non-formal educator, are an experienced professional or just getting started in the field, and are new to inclusion or have been leading inclusive programming for years, we hope this course will inspire you to strengthen your pedagogical practices so they are more welcoming, inclusive and accessible for all learners.
This course is designed to require 12 – 15 hours of active participation and work.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the principles of Universal Design for Learning
- Describe terms, techniques, tools, and resources to promote inclusivity and access to better serve diverse populations, specifically those with learning differences, physical accessibility needs, and language barriers
- Evaluate your current teaching practices/pedagogy and your setting to identify barriers to participation
- Apply the principles of Universal Design for Learning to your pedagogical practices to redesign a lesson, activity, or program
- Experience working in formal or non-formal education is not required but highly encouraged.
- Access to reliable internet and a desktop computer or laptop.
- Assignments must be completed with a score of 2 as indicated on the scoring guide provided.
- To receive a certificate of completion for 10 hours of work, you must complete all assignments and receive the scores as indicated above.
This course runs for 8 weeks, from October 16 – December 8, 2023. Although you can complete the course at your own pace, below is a recommended schedule for completing each module:
- Module 1 – Complete by October 29
- Module 2 – Complete by November 12
- Module 3 – Complete by November 16
- Module 4 – Complete by December 8 – all coursework completed
Three scheduled Zoom meetings are required for this course.
- Monday, October 16, 7:30 – 8:00 pm
- Monday, November 6, 7:30 – 8:30 pm
- Monday, November 27, 7:30 – 8:30 pm
AEEA members: $65
October 16 (Monday) - December 8 (Friday)