Summer eeCourse: Foundations in Environmental Education Instruction
August 7 – October 1, 2023 COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is designed to provide educators with the background knowledge and skills necessary to
August 7 – October 1, 2023
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is designed to provide educators with the background knowledge and skills necessary to ground future instruction in environmental education. This course should take you approximately 10-12 hours to complete.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain what environmental education is and delineate the five objectives of EE.
- List and describe five important factors in creating an appropriate, safe EE learning environment.
- Create recommendations for EE programming that facilitate broad accessibility and are designed to be developmentally appropriate, inclusive, and culturally appropriate for diverse audiences.
- Select and implement appropriate environmental education instructional strategies.
- Select, adapt, and/or develop effective educational materials based on established principles for EE materials.
- Experience working in formal or nonformal education is not required but highly encouraged.
- Access to reliable internet and a desktop computer or laptop.
- Assignments must be completed with a score of 2 as indicated on the scoring guide provided.
- To receive a certificate of completion for 10 hours of work, you must complete all assignments and receive the scores as indicated above.
This course runs for 8 weeks, from August 7 – October 1, 2023. Although you can complete the course at your own pace, below is a recommended schedule for completing each module:
- Module 1 – Complete by August 16
- Module 2 – Complete by August 25
- Module 3 – Complete by September 5
- Module 4 – Complete by September 15
- Module 5 – Complete by October 1 – all coursework completed
Three scheduled Zoom meetings are required for this course.
- Tuesday, August 8, 7:30 – 8:00 pm
- Monday, August 28, 7:30 – 8:30 pm
- Monday, September 18, 7:30 – 8:30 pm
AEEA members: $65
August 7 (Monday) - October 1 (Sunday)